3/17/23

But is it really a flying car?

As a kid conceived and born hearing bombers leaving a runway human flight was a literal reality. At Dow Air Force Base in Maine my second grade teacher would have to stop talking while the windows in school rattled as another wave of B-52s loaded with armed nukes headed for the boundary of the former Soviet Union. 

A giant framed photo of the XB-70 Valkyrie adorned my bedroom wall at the farm outside Elkton. I was a stupid punk, had a very high draft number, ignored a Presidential appointment to the United States Air Force Academy (an entitlement for a dependent of CMSgt Lawrence E. Kurtz, USAF (Ret)) because Richard Fucking Nixon was Commander-in-Chief; and, because my glasses prevented me from being a pilot.

My twenties were spent under a hang glider either aloft or waiting for wind on the top of a mountain somewhere drooling over the Aurora 400 in the back of Popular Mechanics. I even learned volumes about the V-22 Osprey before it entered service. A crash on my birthday in 1982 compelled the purchase of a sailboat instead of a new glider so a design for a tilt-rotor aircraft using three Hirth two-stroke engines and the remains of my crashed ship lies at the bottom of the box holding my "failure files." My dad even mused his surprise that the concept of a flying car in every garage hadn't materialized in his lifetime. 

In 1996, Paul Moller convinced me to pursue a brief sales fantasy so vertical take-off and landing or VTOL became an obsession. Now, he calls the technology, advanced air mobility or AAM.
Today, 34 years later, Moller wears smaller, frameless glasses. His hair, combed back, looks only slightly grayer than in the news reel. His appearance alone offers few clues that Moller is now 85 years old. He still speaks like he did back in 1988—with relentless optimism. “If you walk through the details, batteries create technical problems, but they also create FAA problems,” Moller says. “And I ran away from that.”For now, Moller keeps a close eye on the eVTOL landscape and writes extensive reports comparing different companies. [Fast Company]
Doroni Aerospace is a Miami-based company testing a two seat $350,000 electric VTOL designed for short trips as a Light Sport Aircraft that only requires a driver's license and twenty hours training. The manufacturer expects to market the machine initially to first responders, law enforcement and the military then for general aviation but whether it will ever appear on a highway remains a mystery.

No comments: