6/8/16

Senator Jon Tester: Road Trip

Dear Larry,

There is no better time to leave Washington D.C. and head home to Big Sky Country than the beginning of summer.

Last week, I traveled across our great state from Missoula's Mount Jumbo to the Billings' Rims and everywhere in between.

First, I spoke at the Stop Human Trafficking Conference in Missoula. It was great to see folks from across the state working together to address such an important issue. Human trafficking is modern day slavery and we need to come up with solutions to protect our families and communities.

Then I headed over to Simms High School to deliver the commencement speech to an impressive group of 19 graduates. They will go on to do amazing things, I'm sure of it.

On Memorial Day I joined hundreds of folks in Great Falls to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice defending our freedoms. It was my honor to play Taps to remember the men and women who died serving our country.

After Memorial Day I drove south to Ennis where I held my first Rural Health Summit. I brought healthcare officials from Washington, DC, and elsewhere around the country to Montana because it is critical that these folks understand the challenges facing rural health care providers and patients.

Following my Rural Health Summit I was joined by Montana seniors and the AARP in Billings to announce my support for the Credit for Caring Act. This bill will support caregivers by providing more financial certainty as they care for their aging or disabled family members.

Then I headed over to Lincoln and spoke at the 95th Annual Montana Disabled American Veterans Convention. These men and women bravely served our country and Congress needs to work hard to ensure they get the care they earned. I hope Congress acts on the bipartisan Veteran's First Act sooner rather than later because this bill will hold the VA accountable and fix the Veterans Choice Program. Shortly after I visited with veterans, I addressed men and women in Great Falls at the Military Appreciation Community Luncheon.

Finally, I stopped in Fort Benton on my way back to the farm to receive the Golden Triangle Award from the Montana Farmers Union. As a farmer myself, I know firsthand how hard those in agriculture work and it's an honor to be their partner in the Senate.

As with every trip across the Treasure State, it's a pleasure to visit with Montanans, hear their concerns, and work with them to create opportunities. Now I'm heading back to D.C., but I get to go back with fresh ideas from you so I can continue to make DC look a little bit more like Montana.

If you think of anything while I am in DC don't hesitate to contact my office, I am here to serve you.

No comments: