4/26/12

US general strike steamrolling toward May 1

In essence, a general strike is the complete and total shutdown of the economy. A general strike can last for a day, a week, or longer depending on the severity of the crisis, the resolve of the strikers, and the extent of public solidarity. --General Strike Pamphlet: Industrial Workers of the World.
From Elizabeth Whitman at The Nation:
The call for a general strike on May 1 should not be solely about work, argues Marina Sitrin, a postdoctoral fellow at CUNY specializing in global mass movements. Instead, it should reshape our ideas about how society is built, as Sitrin explains in this video, by asking hard questions about class, consumption, work and society.




6 comments:

Larry Kralj, E. Rangers said...

I've been advocating for this for a looong time. You see, the ONLY thing that the nazis need to explain is IF the one percent does NOT do ninety-nine percent of the work, WHY should they be entitled to ninety-nine percent of the wealth?! Answer? They shouldn't! We do not live in an aristocracy, nor a plutocracy.

larry kurtz said...

Agreed, LK: Manuel shrugged kinda deal. Just because we're Democrats doesn't make us subjects.

My first union job is still in business. Even joined the painters' union to help restore the Clark Fork Station in Missoula in '80.

Thx for coming by bro.

freegan said...

This is great stuff! You can not change a system you belong to without changing yourself. Finally we the people are waking up and becoming aware of old systems combined with new technology to create regenerative systems that can support us. Check out forest gardening,transition movements, bushcraft, it all has a common goal. Here is one short video about growing your food and reducing your dependance called Homegrown Revolution (Award winning short-film 2009)- The Urban Homestead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbODJiEM5A

D.E. Bishop said...

I support this as an exceptionally strong tool. But I will not strike.

My clients are people with mental illnesses. It is not fair to them, or necessarily safe for me to walk away from them, even for a day. Some only leave their room or apartment when I come by.

I'm thinking about various work that keeps people safe and healthy, too.

However, there are still millions of people who can strike. I will be supportive as I am able.

Gooooooo people!!!!!!!!!!!!

D.E. Bishop said...

I said, "It is not fair to them, or necessarily safe for me to walk away from them,..."

Let me clarify that a bit, as it could be confusing.

I might not be safe for Them, if I don't show up. They are not dangerous to me.

Okay, I feel better now.

larry kurtz said...

RT @OccupyWallStNYC Occupy Wall Street
#MayDay is just the beginning. #M1GS