9/16/12

Images of Lamy

My maternal grandfather was a career conductor for the Union Pacific Railroad: after my mother passes (she's 91), the rest of the story will be posted. I have at least one vague memory from my toddlerhood of riding the California Zephyr between Omaha and Emeryville, California near Castle AFB where my dad was stationed and the place of my birth.











The El Ortiz Hotel, a Harvey House, stood on the right-hand side of the tracks



Trackside depot: this end of building houses Beyond Borders Bookstore







3 comments:

Nadene said...

What a great treasure of history and personal connection! Your story and photos bring out a sense of place that is hidden behind old buildings, spider webs, and dusty NM streets. Hope all is well with your mom, you probably know she's the class mom...

larry kurtz said...

Hi, Nadene: yes, our stories are that spider web.

Mom's contributions to the Our Lady of Good Counsel parish book is just one of her achievements.

Nadene said...

I've been looking for the parish book, I know my parents had one... an enormous contribution to the history of Elkton. The expanding web of connection.