2/27/16

Happy Birthday, Lynnie!


Lynn Kurtz Larson would have been 60 today. She was killed in 1995 in a car/bicycle collision on the Moody County, South Dakota road outside her farm. The family called her Lynnie the Pooh.

Mutual friend, Nadene Deiterman Greni has penned a remembrance.
I remember Lynn on our first day of school at St. Mary's. She had long, flowing brown hair and wore a baby blue dress. Even though it was the first day, she was the 'new girl' because the rest of the class had met for one day in the spring. [Nearly/a/Data Geek]
One of the first jobs we kids learned after moving to the farm in the Spring of '64 was picking rock. I was almost ten, sister Lynn was eight. We learned to drive taking turns at the wheel of that old tractor and wagon moving at a half a mile an hour while Dad did most of the real work.

Finding stone hammers was our reward for clearing glacial till from those fields not knowing that they had been left there by the ancestors of those killed at Wounded Knee. Blood from our oft-smashed fingers is still on some of those rocks.

10 comments:

NDG said...

Tried to post a pic of Pooh and Owl and it didn't work. You'll just have to imagine...

larry kurtz said...

I have a photo buried somewhere and will upload when i find it. Sweet of you to put up a post. Curious how the world would look today if she were still here.

NDG said...

Agreed...

Anonymous said...

Geez, LK. That was a tough one to read, amigo. My heart goes out to you and yours. You have my deepest condolences on this remembrance.

La vida is corta, y la muerte larga.

Live each day to the fullest.

And fight on in her memory!

That's all we can do.

Your friend,

LK

larry kurtz said...

Thanks, Larry. 95 was a tough year for me, it nearly sunk me. 97 was the year i finally chose to live instead of joining her.

Always good to have you come by. Don't let the bastards wear you down.

Lanky said...

Larry, so timely I found your blog. Just this past Tuesday, March 1st, I found myself driving very slowly along County Road B (believe that's the name of road) and as I approached that small hill before Lynn & Dave's farm remembering that horrific day we lost Lynn. A combination of fond memories and sadness. Lynn was a special friend to me and our entire family. We love her. We miss her. As we do your Dad & Mom. What wonderful memories growing up together, both families spending lots of time together, playing on your farm, building forts up in the barn in the hay piles. Shouting up to the heavens, Happy Birthday Lynn. Hugs to you old friend

larry kurtz said...

Thank you, Karen. Hope your own mom and dad are hanging in there. Seeing them on your FB page is like a trip to South Dakota. Do you know how to find Cece Davis?

Lanky said...

Thanks (Blado-can hear your Mom's voice in my head!!! Or am I hearing things?? ....Wow, it's been so long). I know Cece is up here in the Twin Cities area but not sure where. Many years ago I had her married name, she & her husband used to own a big nursery up in northern suburbs. Think Tom Davis is on Facebook quite a bit, best suggestion is to friend or message him. Will be following your blog. Some great info on here. You are on a mission!!!

larry kurtz said...

Thanks, Lank! I miss Lare and Hare, too.

larry kurtz said...

Btw, here are their my remembrances of them: Dad and Mom.